Each year the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony & Classical Orchestra hosts the Skip Gates Concerto Competition for its members only. Winners are selected for both the Youth Symphony and the Classical Orchestra, and the first-place winner from each group performs with their ensemble at the spring concert.
- Contestants must be current members of the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony or the Classical Orchestra.
- All members are encouraged to audition.
- The audition piece will be the concerto performed if the contestant wins.
- The concerto must be performed on the student’s orchestral instrument, and it must have an orchestral accompaniment.
- Total playing time for the full piece is limited to 9 minutes. Contestants may choose the movement or portion of the concerto that best highlights their strengths.
Youth Symphony members: Select one movement of a concerto of your choice.
Classical Orchestra members: Your concerto must be a baroque or classical piece (a movement from a concerto or a standalone piece) with a total playing time of no more than 9 minutes.
Below are some pieces for which we know we have accompaniment. If you want to perform something other than the concertos listed below, please check with Mr. Varineau first.
- Vivaldi: Concerto in A Minor, movement 1, 2, or 3
- Vivaldi: Concerto in G Minor, movement 1,2, or 3
- Bach: Double Concerto in B Minor, movement 1 (this requires two soloists)
- Vivaldi: Concerto in D Minor, movement 1 or 3
- Telemann: Concerto in G Major, any movement
- Telemann: Double Concerto in G (this requires two soloists)
- Vivaldi: Double Concerto in G Minor, any movement (this requires two soloists)
- Vivaldi: Sonata No. 5, any movement (Mr. Varineau will provide string orchestra accompaniment)
Bass: Check with Mr. Segal
- Contestants must be accompanied at the audition.
- Contestants must provide their own accompanist.
- Apply online at the members-only site (must log in with a student account)
- Application deadline: Monday, February 7, 2022 (no late applications accepted)
- NO application fee this year
- Virtual audition (video) submission deadline: Monday, February 14, 2022
- Video requirements for the virtual audition upload. https://members.grys.org/ (must log in with a student account)
- Contestants are not required to play from memory.
- No copies are needed for the judges.
- Written critiques will not be provided.
- First Place:
- Youth Symphony members: $1,000 plus the opportunity to perform as the soloist with the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony (typically at the DeVos Performance Hall) at the spring concert. (In 2021: if compatible with CDC guidelines)
- Classical Orchestra members: $500 plus the opportunity to perform as the soloist with the Classical Orchestra (typically at the DeVos Performance Hall) at the spring concert. (In 2021: if compatible with CDC guidelines)
- Second Place: a monetary prize plus the opportunity to perform if the winner is unavailable.
Call the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony office at 616-842-6566 or email the competition coordinator at email@example.com.