Each year the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony & Classical Orchestra hosts the Skip Gates Concerto Competition for its members only. Winners are selected for both the Youth Symphony and the Classical Orchestra, and the first-place winner from each group performs with their ensemble at the spring concert.
- Contestants must be current members of the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony or the Classical Orchestra.
- All members are encouraged to audition.
- The audition piece will be the concerto performed if the contestant wins.
- The concerto must be performed on the student’s orchestral instrument, and it must have an orchestral accompaniment.
- Total playing time for the full piece is limited to 9 minutes. Contestants may choose the movement or portion of the concerto that best highlights their strengths.
Youth Symphony members: Select one movement of a concerto of your choice.
Classical Orchestra members: Your concerto must be a baroque or classical piece (a movement from a concerto or a standalone piece) with a total playing time of no more than 9 minutes.
Below are some pieces for which we know we have accompaniment. If you want to perform something other than the below concertos, please check with Mr. Varineau first.
- Vivaldi: Concerto in A Minor, movement 1, 2, or 3
- Vivaldi: Concerto in G Minor, movement 1,2, or 3
- Bach: Double Concerto in B Minor, movement 1 (this requires two soloists)
- Vivaldi: Concerto in D Minor, movement 1 or 3
- Telemann: Concerto in G Major, any movement
- Telemann: Double Concerto in G (this requires two soloists)
- Vivaldi: Double Concerto in G Minor, any movement (this requires two soloists)
- Vivaldi: Sonata No. 5, any movement (Mr. Varineau will provide string orchestra accompaniment)
Bass: Check with Mr. Varineau
- Contestants must be accompanied at the audition.
- Contestants must provide their own accompanist.
- Apply online at the members-only site (must log in with a student account)
- Application deadline: Monday, January 27, 2020 (no late applications accepted)
- Application fee: $15 (pay online here)
- Audition date: Monday, March 2, 2020 (4 p.m.-10 p.m). Auditions will be held in the Covenant Fine Arts Center (CFAC) on the campus of Calvin University.
- Contestants are not required to play from memory.
- No copies are needed for the judges.
- Auditions are closed to all listeners.
- Written critiques will not be provided.
- Contestants who arrive after their audition time will be disqualified.
- A warm-up room will be provided 30 minutes before the audition time.
- First Place:
- Youth Symphony members: $500 plus the opportunity to perform as the soloist with the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony at the DeVos Performance Hall at the spring concert.
- Classical Orchestra members: $300 plus the opportunity to perform as the soloist with the Classical Orchestra at the DeVos Performance Hall at the spring concert.
- Second Place: a monetary prize plus the opportunity to perform if the winner is unavailable.
Call the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony office at 616-842-6566 or email the competition coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.