*Because of the ongoing pandemic, this event has been cancelled for the 2020-2021 season.*
Each year the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony & Classical Orchestra sponsors a piano concerto competition for local young pianists. The winner receives a $300 cash prize and performs with the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony at its winter concert.
Student pianists ages 15 to 21 are invited to compete. Specifically, a contestant:
- Must be at least age 15 but not yet age 21 by January 1 of the performance year.
- Must be between a high school sophomore and a college sophomore, inclusively, in the current school year.
- Must have a residence in one of the following Michigan counties: Allegan, Barry, Ionia, Kalamazoo, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm, Muskegon, Newaygo, Oceana, Ottawa, and Van Buren.
- May be attending college or university outside of these counties if the primary residence is in one of these counties.
- OR: May be attending college at any public or private college or university based in one of these counties.
- May win this competition only once.
- Must submit a $20 application fee.
- Note: There is no requirement for music club affiliation.
- The choice of piece is up to the contestant, but it must be a work, or a movement of a work, for piano and orchestra.
- The audition piece will be the piece performed if the contestant wins.
- The piece’s total playing time must be at least 8 minutes and not more than 16 minutes long.
- The work must be performed from memory at the audition.
- Contestants must be accompanied at the audition.
- Contestants must provide their own accompanist.
- Apply Online
- Application deadline:
December 15, 2020*Because of the ongoing pandemic, this event has been cancelled for the 2020-2021 season.*
- Application fee:
$20 (pay here)
- Audition date:
Saturday, January 9, 2021
- Location: TBA
- Contestants will be notified of their audition time by the end of December.
- Audition times are randomly selected and are not negotiable.
- Contestants who arrive after their audition time will be disqualified.
- A warm-up room will be provided 30 minutes before the audition time.
- The competition is open to the public.
- Winner: $300 plus the opportunity to perform with the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony at DeVos Performance Hall at its winter concert, typically in March.
- Alternate: $50 and the opportunity to perform if the winner is unavailable.
Call the Grand Rapids Youth Symphony Piano Competition at 616-682-5725 or email the competition coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.