Information for the 2017 Competition
The Grand Rapids Youth Symphony and Classical Orchestra will hold its annual Skip Gates Concerto Competition on March 6, 2017. Youth Symphony members are encouraged to audition on their orchestral instrument. The winner of this audition will perform as the soloist at the May concert. Auditions will be held from 4:00 – 10:00 pm on the campus of Calvin College, 3201 Burton SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546.
Here is a map Calvin College: https://calvin.edu/map/campusmap.pdf
Selection of Concertos
Applicants will be required to supply their own accompanist for the audition.
Youth Symphony: Audition requirements will be one movement of a concerto of your choice.
Classical Orchestra: Your choice of repertoire is limited! It must be a baroque or classical piece (movement
from a concerto or stand alone piece) lasting no more than 10 minutes. It must have an orchestral accompaniment. As a matter of fact – You are strongly urged to choose one of the following:
- Violins: Vivaldi: Concerto in A minor, movements 1, 2, or 3 – Vivaldi: Concerto in g minor, movements 1,2, or 3 – Bach: Double concerto in B minor, movement 1. (This requires two soloists)
- Violas: Vivaldi: Concerto in D minor, movements 1 or 3 – Telemann: Concerto in G major, any movement – Telemann: Double concerto in G. (This requires two soloists)
- Cellos: Vivaldi: Double concerto in g minor, any movement. (This requires two soloists) – Vivaldi: Sonata No. 5, any movement (Mr. Varineau will make a string orchestra accompaniment for this.)
- Bass: Check with Mr. Varineau on repertoire.
If you want to do something different than the above repertoire, check with Mr. Varineau first.
Guidelines for Competition
- Contestants are not required to play from memory. No copies are needed for the judges.
- Actual performance time in this competition is limited to 9 minutes. Due to this limitation, contestants may choose to play the portion of the concerto which best represents their strengths.
- Auditions are closed to all listeners. Written critiques will not be provided.
- A list of competitors will be posted at the site.
- Youth Symphony members may win this competition only one time.
Information for online application
Please fill out the online application form by January 23, 2017. No late applications will be accepted.
You will need the following information to fill out the online application form.
- phone number and email address
- concerto to be performed
- name of current private teacher
- name of accompanist
- an indication of which times you are available on audition night (auditions are from 4pm to 10pm, with Classical Orchestra auditions coming first, followed by Youth Symphony Auditions).